Thursday 9 February 2012

A Roman Holiday........



My husband and I had a big surprise on Christmas Day when our son gave us an extra present of a trip to Rome at the end of January. We've never been before so it was very exciting to do the research and decide on all the places we wanted to see. As DH is a huge fan of the film 'Gladiator', we decided to book a guided tour of the Colisseum and Roman Forum......it was amazing.
It still boggles my mind to think that something like that could have been built almost 2,000 years ago. We were given a lot of fascinating information from our guide...some it was very gory!

My favourite place was the Pantheon; I loved sitting in the Piazza drinking coffee (and Prosecco :-) whilst admiring the view. The back is very different from the front....and there's a hole in the roof (plus a drain in the floor below for when it rains). Apparently its magical in there when it snows!

We visited the Trevi Fountain at night, marvelled at the ancient ruins around every corner, admired the fountains and thousands of statues.....
 ......and couldn't help noticing how birds like to stand on the statues heads!! (maybe for the view?)
We didn't manage to go inside the Vatican or Sistine Chapel so may have to plan another visit sometime in the future...... :-)

As for doing anything creative..... I've been trying to make some postcard-sized mixed-media pieces to sell.


 I've just managed the one!!!

But I will persevere and make at least a dozen by the end of the month.......... ;-)
(The background paper is Beryl Taylor's 'fabric paper technique' from her book Mixed-Media Explorations)

Whilst I'm here I just want to wave 'Hi' to Mixed Media Julie who came and spent the day with Maggi and I last week. We had a lovely time visiting The Beetroot Tree Gallery, Peartree Yard Craft Warehouse and my favourite coffee shop/delicatessen in Breaston for lunch. Julie bought a selection of her beautiful art to show us and I gave her a tour of my chaotic art room! Hope we get to meet up again very soon....



Peachy says 'Hi' - he's been having fun in the snow this week.......maybe I should make him some boots ;-)


No comments:

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...