Thursday 7 January 2016

Nutty Cookies

I posted a photo on Instagram today and promised a recipe to go with it.
As you probably already know, I do my best to eat healthily  and most of my inspiration comes from Joy McCarthy and Ella Woodward ........I'm a big fan of their books 'Deliciously Ella' and 'Joyous Health'.
I'm also currently working through 'The Immune System Recovery Plan' by Susan Blum (and taking copious notes). 

The recipe for the cookies comes from Joy McCarthy's website here 
I have changed it a little and I use a variety of nut/seed butters, including almond, peanut, cashew and tahini. I also sometimes add chopped nuts. 
I love the fact that there's no wheat and no refined sugar (only maple syrup).
Here's another of my Instagram photos.....

The Anthropologie mug is my current favourite (a present from my sister :-) 
The magazine is another favourite....I look forward to the beginning of the month when I know its going to drop through my letterbox.

It's title 'The Simple Things' goes nicely with my word for this year which is..... 

less

I'm trying to cut back on everything......eating....buying....commitments.....new ideas....
The last one may seem odd....but I have too many bright ideas ;-)  (Thank you Pinterest :-p)
I take on too many classes and workshops.......I spend too much on art materials......I start too many projects. Enough is enough.
I have cleared my workbench and I'm sticking with calligraphy, drawing and photography.
No mixed media....no stitching....no felting....
We'll see how it goes.
Already my mind feels clearer.
I'm keeping it simple.........

How about you? Do you have a word for this year?

17 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice to see your post, Linda. Happy New Year! I hope you have a great 2016, filled with good health and happiness.

Heather said...

A thought provoking post Linda and something we might all take benefit from. The cookies sound and look delicious and as usual the pics are delightful. I think I try too many different things and then nothing gets done to my satisfaction. I shall try to take your advice! My word for this year at present is two words actually: 'organised chaos', but I'm working on that.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Ha ha I'm just like you i think the only class I will take this year Is Anna Aspnes pen and tablet class when she launches it. Thanks for the recipe, my husband has coeliac disease so any goodies without wheat is always good!

BumbleVee said...

I never choose a word...I'd forget it about half an hour later anyway....

I already signed up for an art class..hahhaha... but, i my defence, I haven't done one since several years back. Online, with Danielle Donaldson... just playing with some water colours.... It should be fun.
Haven't done much crafting the past year myself Linda...with my wonky elbow... but, it may finally be on the mend or at the very least... getting a bit better. I sure hope so!! I need to be able to hold something in my left hand while I work on it...darnit anyway!!...

Julie said...

'Less' is a good word to live by Linda. I havn't chosen a word for myself but intend to focus down instead of trying to achieve absolutely everything in a headless chicken mode so Less is appropriate for me too. I hope 2016 is a much better year for you, especially health wise. xxx

Emma said...

Delicious healthy looking biscuits! Bu no stitching?!!? You're a strong woman ;) My new word is simple, but not less - ME! That means MORE things for me!

Come over to mine when you have a mo to find out what I did with those knitted patches ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan, hope your digestive plan works marvelously and you creative life with follow it's own path. xox

Lorraine said...

words for this year is slow down. I too am finishing what i started so for now just watercolours and knitting and scrapbooks. I want to use up what I have in my shed and dont want to buy any more..

Maggi said...

I'm definitely going to try those. I think I need a phrase for the year - stop procrastinating woman!

Rosie said...

Now that we're retired can't AFFORD classes or lots of new materials, so I'm with you there! Trying to give up sugar but life is a bit too stressful to go the whole healthy hog right now.

Heloise said...

Happy and healthy new year. I had a big cull of my creative materials last year, gave them to the local children's hospice via their shop. I have not missed them at all. I think a simpler life is a good way to live.

ju-north said...

Sounds like a good plan! One of my aims this year is to try and meet up with you in Nottingham!

*jean* said...

Less is more, as they say...I have pondered that bit too...I'm still emptying my entire home and am almost done but for kitchen cupboards...simpleness. Best wishes for a happy and healthier new year! I love your photographs here and on Instagram. I will miss your beautiful mixed media creations though. xo

Petra Pavlátková said...

Hi Linda. I love that no refined sugar is used, only maple syrup, I should try something like that. I'm way too lazy to give such a change a chance and rather stick to to my routine, definitely something to think about.

Less is not an easy word, I guess, it's quite a brave choice. My word is Gratitude...

Mescrap said...

This year I am cutting back on buying and commitment.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Lovely to see your post Linda. Hope your health is holding. I like your plan. As for me my plan is not to rush to make things but go slow. So I am not going to fret that I am not able to work on dolls all the time because of my wrists. But shall go at a very slow pace. Like you my head gets crowded with ideas and I want to make all the ideas that come in the head but I know that will. Not be possible anymore so go slow and be kind to my wrists. :-)

Kerrie said...

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. Trying to eat better this year adn breathe /slow down more. Have you gtreid chair yoga? It's great. As for reducing ideas for new projects- I admire your fortitude in being able to reduce projects - I have way too many brain bursts of 'Oh I'd lvoe to try that or I coud try this and then that to modify xyz. Fingers crossed my feed doesn't show me any new hobies to get into.I want to practice the ones I am into more first.

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...