Thursday 20 February 2014

Texture Tuesday (a few days late)

I'm starting to feel really positive about the arrival of Spring...there are so many signs around, I can't help but feel it's just around the corner. Of course, we could have a rude awakening and winter could actually arrive in the next few weeks! Here in the Midlands we've escaped a lot of the really bad weather.....only time will tell if we've escaped it completely :-)
Kim Klassen's theme is Light this week....and I'm thinking 'Light at the end of the tunnel'.
Winter, for me, is a bit like a tunnel I have to get through....
I used Kim's 'wonderfulmagic_stars' texture...twice (both at soft light).
I have a number of these hyacinths around the house; not only do they look beautiful, they smell wonderful too...
(The pot holder is from Ikea BTW).

I'm hoping there's 'light at the end of the tunnel' regarding my health too.....
I mentioned a couple of posts back that I've suffered with digestive problems for almost two years and during that time I've read many books on the subject. I believe that carbs are very damaging to our health and I'm trying hard to avoid them. I eat no refined sugar and avoid cakes, biscuits, sweets etc.
I LOVE bread though and can't imagine giving that up completely. So, I've done a lot of research into spelt flour. Its an ancient grain that hasn't been refined or modified and so is much healthier. It is higher in protein and easier to digest than wheat. I find that I can eat one piece a day without suffering any consequences. And it's much tastier than ordinary bread.......I've even converted my mum :-)
This is the flour I use.....plus the spelt and walnut loaf I made yesterday.  The addition of chopped dates is good too! There are other recipes on the back of the bag.

I have also become a bit obsessed with coconut oil....it has so many amazing health benefits. I use it in most of our meals nowadays;  its the best oil to use for frying as it doesn't deteriorate when heated. I also eat it by the spoonful; its good for the brain! I made these treats today.....
The base is made from ground oats, ground almonds, coconut oil, Manuka honey, almond butter, cinnamon and vanilla essence. I pressed it into petit four cases then poured the topping over...which is made from coconut oil, raw cacao powder and honey. They are only tiny but they satisfy my craving for something sweet. I found the recipe on the marvellous  'Oh she glows' website.....which I highly recommend. Go and look at her latest recipe.....'Blissful Blueberry Banana Spelt Muffins'.........(vegan and no refined sugar). Can't wait to try those.

Back tomorrow with some artwork.....

11 comments:

Lynn said...

I have to try the sweet treats , they look,and sound delicious and I visited "Oh she Glows" what a great blog . I don't have the health problems you do but have been working my way towards eating healthy less damaging foods.
Love your photo today, one of my favourite spring plants :)

~*~Patty S said...

Spelt flour and Quinoa always make me think of the ancients...
each such very pure foods...
I like spreading a thin layer of coconut oil (funny name since it is creamy white) on toast (your bread looks and sounds gorgeous!!!) with some fruit only jam...cherry is our fav at the mo...

I am going to try oil pulling with the coconut oil tomorrow as well.

Your photo and sentiments really speak to me dear Linda...there is so much to enjoy about "Light" ♥

Here's hoping you get your digestion in a happy place...
you certainly seem on a very good track...
oxoxo

Heather said...

Love this new image Linda and your bread looks delicious. I have been buying a spelt loaf from Sainsbury's which is lovely and light. Your other recipes sounds great too - I do hope they are making life better for you. It's amazing how much can be achieved by adjusting one's diet.

Anonymous said...

Lovely bits of stars peeking through on your flower. I've gone gluten fee by choice but still want a bit os suger in my coffee. Don't love coconut oil so I slather it on my body instead of eating it. makes a great hair conditioner too. Still eating chocolate dark and got some almond oil. Might try a variation of your recipe. Feel better without the carbs from bread and pasta too, more energy. xox

Anonymous said...

Lovely bits of stars peeking through on your flower. I've gone gluten fee by choice but still want a bit os suger in my coffee. Don't love coconut oil so I slather it on my body instead of eating it. makes a great hair conditioner too. Still eating chocolate dark and got some almond oil. Might try a variation of your recipe. Feel better without the carbs from bread and pasta too, more energy. xox

Ahayes1225 said...

Looks yummy. Glad that I could help, I will be looking for your bokeh photos! Have fun with your new camera.

sweetypie said...

hmmm, I think you may be converting me,,,

Amanda said...

Glad you're getting ahead with your tummy. We've been trying to avoid/cut down wheat for some time and feel much better for it too. I just wish I could lose the weight on these tablets! Lol

Heloise said...

My go to book on health is Coconut Cures, it is an amazing food. I prefer to cook with the coconut butter as it has the taste/flavour of coconut removed. I have used it for a long time as a skin lotion. I am rattling on. Good to hear that you are feeling better, long May that remain the case.

Julie said...

These foods all look and sound delicious as well as being good for you. I shall have to check out the fibre levels. glad that you are getting your diet sorted so that you keep healthy and comfortable.

Maggi said...

Lovely photo. Did you buy that potholder with me or go back for it? I remember that you looked at it when we were there.

Thanks for the tip about the spelt flour, it really is delicious.

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...