Tuesday 20 January 2009

Hand Needle-Felting

Just over a week ago I attended a Living Threads workshop run by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden. We learnt how to needle felt by hand using a single needle - its like magic! This is one of the pieces I made (I think its a seed-head). You can use an assortment of fibres; I used wool top, silk, linen, angelina and bamboo fibres.
First we laid a piece of velvet on a dense sponge (you can use felt instead of velvet)

then spread fibres on top.

The needles are not smooth, they have tiny ridges cut into them - this is what matts the fibres.

Just stab the fibres repeatedly (through into the sponge) until they bond with the velvet and each other. Keep adding fibres until you're happy with the effect. Like magic - they all become as one!!

Finally I couched thin strips of angelina film and added seed beads, accent beads and a few french knots.
If you click on the link to Alysn it will take you to her gallery/workshop/art shop/coffee shop/ gift shop (where everything is handmade)...... and I have just got a job there! I'll only be doing Sundays plus occasional weekdays - which is just enough for me. Can't wait - I'll just have to try not to spend all my wages on art materials ;-)
PS If anyone wants to have a go and can't get hold of a needle...email me.

17 comments:

Jaqi said...

Wow Linda, this is beautiful, , in fact stunning.
Congratulations on your new job, I can just imagine you will love it, I hope you enjoy it , Im sure you will , they are very lucky to have you. Have a great time , Jaqi x

Suse said...

this is stunning - so full of intricate detail - love your colours - a gorgeous piece!

Sandy said...

Wow what a great work. This is awesome.

Shashi Nayagam said...

You did a lovely job of it.

Sharon said...

Corrr looks very exiting Linda,
the seed head looks gorgeous.
cant wait to have a go at this technique.
Sharon xx

Anonymous said...

Soooooooooooooo Stunning , I love the texture and colours ,thanks for showing us how its done .Im going to get some and give it a go .
Love from sesga xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new Job ,I bet you end up spend all your wages on craft stuff !!!

loe from sesga xxx

Rosie said...

Can't wait to have a go at THIS!! Thank you for promising to teach me how.

Judy S. said...

How fun! I've been wanting to try it ever since I went to a felting workshop last year. Next step a felting machine? Sounds like a fun job, Linda. I hope they let you teach a class or two!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW this is great and yes, it looks exactly like a seed head. What a lovely variety of colours and textures and potential to expand the technique - I love it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your job too.

xxxxxxxxx

Viola said...

Great work again!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous felting Linda!
hugs
Sanja

Jacky said...

This is gorgeous Linda... love the colours and the texture you have created on your "seed head" piece. I love needle felting...quite addictive isnt it.

Beautiful journal cover too!!!

~*~Patty S said...

I can only imagine how therapeutic and addicting this can be. Your combo of fibers is gorgeous! I had a tiny taste of needle felting and really enjoyed it, but nothing quite like what you've done here Linda!
Had to smile when you wrote about not spending your paycheck, that was one of my first thoughts = oh oh :)
Enjoy!

nancy said...

what a wonderful opportunity for you, Linda! This is so beautiful. I love the fibers you used and the beads and angelica just did the trick. I have a felting tool with (I think) 5 needles(?) I haven't had it out for a long time. But I will soon be moving into a place where I'll be able to spread out. I look forward to doing some felting then.
Nancy

Minxy said...

Just beautiful :O)

*jean* said...

ooo i love this! i have always wanted to try the needle felting and yours is just beautiful!

jean

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...