Friday 22 July 2011

Torn Strips....

My poor scissors are feeling redundant and unwanted.....I realised today that I've been tearing paper and fabric for most of my recent projects. I love my collection of torn strips (the edges from the handmade papers I tear for my altered books). I fancied playing with them today so I did some paper weaving for a change....


Added some machine and hand stitching, sequins, pressed flowers, beads etc. These are my happy colours  :-)

Last week I went on a mini-holiday to stay with my friend Rosie (the Journalling Queen).
We had a lovely time together........visited Lytham St Annes, played in her art room, ate gorgeous food cooked by her talented DH..... and if that wasn't enough we had a visit from Jackie (Dog Daisy Chains) who lives not too far away. We've never met before so it was a real treat...especially as she brought a boxful of her gorgeous artwork to show us (my request :-) We had a wonderful afternoon!

I'm besotted with my coneflowers (echinacea, rudbekia) at the moment and couldn't resist taking these photos .......I love seeing their progress from bud to full flower.


Also loving the eryngiums......the blue is so surprising, especially on the stems!




Maggi brought me some of her honesty seeds last time she visited and I spent a happy hour making patterns with them (at one time I would have done something like this with a class of children.....but sadly I was on my own this time ;-)

And finally......a few people have messaged me regarding my art wall after seeing a partial view (with Peachy)  in my 'Memories' post below. I've been asked to show a full photo........

....so here it is. Not a deliberately 'arty' display; just something that has grown over the past couple of years. The ATCs are attached (with blu-tac) to two wooden rails, screwed to the wall and painted turquoise. If you click on it you might even see your work there!!

26 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

The eryngiums are sensational! and so are your money plant designs!

Heather said...

Super post Linda - love your woven strips piece - gorgeous colours. I love Jackie's work too. Echinacea and rudbeckia won't grow for me and something got at the eryngium this year - sad. I do have honesty at the end of the garden. All your pics are great and I love your art wall. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sandies' Patch said...

Those colours again....my favourites too.
The cone flowers are good value aren't they? Wonderful flowers then lovely seed heads that can stay on most of the Winter for interest. I like the Sea Holly too, never had much luck growing that plant!

Have a great weekend.

Sandie xx

Julie said...

So much better to have art pieces on display than hide them away in a box. Lots to enjoy in this post :-) Hope you have a good weekend. xx

Jackie said...

It was truly a delight to see you and Rosie at the same time.
I love the pictures of honesty, the purple is surprising.

Holly Loves Art said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for linking us to see Rosie's blog. I love her style!

I also LOVE this green piece. So very beautiful. And the collection of art is so wonderful. What fun!

Cheers,
Holly

Nancy said...

What a beautiful weaving.....love the colors and all the goodies you added to make it just right......

Cone flowers are my favorite and your photographs are gorgeous.....Mine have been especially beautiful this year as well......

So glad you had a chance to visit with your friends.....I am sure you are inspired and motivated after such a great visit....

Lynette (NZ) said...

Great post with lots of fantastic colours. Especially love the woven paper piece...and that art wall is just divine

~*~Patty S said...

it is always a delight to get to come and visit and lucky you getting to spend time with creative Rosie...bet that was special fun!!!

Love your art wall...everything you touch turns beautiful!

oxo

Heloise said...

Lovely collections and great colour combinations.

ju-north said...

Love all your work! Am impressed that you know all the names of flowers!

Anonymous said...

Paper weaving is great fun. I recognize your tiny copper flowers that you use. Love those. Time with a new friend, precious! Your art wall - great display, it's so relaxing just to scan your eye over it all, recognize a little gold packet from a piece by Emma. xox Corrine

Rosie said...

We had such a good time didn't we? I LOVED spending time with you, and hope we can get together again soon. I confess to not having torn any fabric strips yet for a spirit cloth but I AM going to give it a try .... there just seem to be so many other things on my To DO list!

Val said...

Hi Linda - I so enjoyed this post. Beautiful colours and shapes - all very stimulating and inspiring. Loved the collages of photos too!

Emma said...

Fabulous to meet other bloggers, we will one day! Lovely wall, is that your studio? Beautiful torn paper.

Shashi Nayagam said...

The paper weaving and cone flowers are gorgeous and what a lovely way to display the artwork. Wonderful!

Uhooi said...

Uhooi,,
Wow,, This blog is very nice, beautiful and creative,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com

BumbleVee said...

hey....I don't see my amazing artwork up on your wall.... oh, just a minute... that's probably because I haven't done any nor have I sent you any! lol..... oh, silly me.....

some day I must try some.....

Anonymous said...

I love the colours and textures in your torn paper weaving. It looks very satisfying to do! The eryngiums are fabulous - such an intense blue - and the honesty patterns have given me some interesting ideas for the future - thank you!

Becca said...

Beautiful photos, and love your art wall! Also the torn strips have really inspired me this weekend. :-)

Gini said...

More beautiful eyecandy Linda,
I think you could make an old chipped avocado toilet look special in your garden with your photo and computer skills.
So would them spiky blue flowers tone beautifully with the piss poor and tasteless 70's toilet, hmm?
Love the way you have displayed your collection of art.
I'd forgotten about Shakespeare's bird, which was one of my favourite funnies of that time. Must be my age or not enough chocolate icecream entering my system.
Gini
xx
P.S. Google have really beefed up their spam filters on the blog comments. I've had word verifictaion off for a few months and had nothing dodgy come through. Spanky used to attract that unsavoury spam like a magnet, I don't know why a Guinea Pig would merit such attention ;-)

Sandy said...

Hi my dear Linda,

I´ve been back and I visit you.

You are very creative in the last month. So wonderful and gorgeous creations. Love them all. Very inspiring.

Joy said...

I love the woven strips, quite inspiring. And the art wall--I could soak that up for quite awhile! Lovely colors!

Su said...

I love the honesty seeds - they seem a very unusual colour.

Kelly M. said...

Linda -- Came across your lovely blog via Jude Hill's SpiritCloth blog and am sooooo glad! Beautiful images, wonderful stitchery and naturally stunning England! Will be back!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Your weave is so pretty, as is the rest of the post. I love making word weaves but never thought of sewing them together. What a fun project that must have been. I loke the uneven edges too. I think it would look great backed with black velvet and framed. :)

Be filled with Wonder and Peace.....and Cosiness

I hope you're managing to embrace this change of season. I'm so much better at accepting the end of summer than I used to be. I&...